Lao Yu Sheng
When I was younger, I used to hate yu sheng. Every mouthful I take is a torture because of the ginger. Funny how our tastebuds change as we grow up..
Now I LOVE yu sheng! Especially the raw fish and the 'pok pok'!! Had yu sheng on Sunday at yy's aunt's. Their homemade yu sheng is DA BEST!!! Not too sweet and not too dry, and the ginger taste is not overwhelming. Just perfect!
Look at that gigantic plate of yu sheng. HUGE!
If you have no idea what they normally say when they pour the ingredients to this salad, here's some help I got from the webbie:
- When presenting the dish, say "gong xi fa cai" and "wan shi ru yi" (wishes for riches and smooth sailing).
- Squeeze lime juice over salmon and say "da ji da li" (to be auspicious; a wish for favorable circumstances).
- Place the raw fish on top of vegetables and say "nian nian you yu" (for wealth, literally "a surplus every year") and "long ma jing shen" (for health).
- Sprinkle vegetables with salt, sugar, ginger, leeks and pomelo. Sprinkle with pepper and five-spice and say "yi ben wan li" (for a flourishing business).
- Pour oil and plum sauce over vegetables and say "you shui duo duo" (another wish for business success).
- Sprinkle with peanuts; say "yin man wu" (for abundant wealth).
- Then add sesame seeds; say "sheng yi xing long" (one more time, for good business).
- Then, the crispy 'pok pok'; say "man di huang jin" (again, for wealth).
- And finally, get EVERYONE to toss the salad as high as possible in the air, while shouting "lou hei!" (for prosperity).
Lastly, grab ur share and wipe all that remaining bits off your arms....





1 Comments:
Hhaha.... thanks for finding out the things they said..... i always wanted to noe =)
Post a Comment
<< Home