The Power of ..............
"..........................."Funny how these tiny dots convey our feelings over chat messages or even sms. I admit I'm another of those addicted to this blunt expression. It's just too convenient to use.. (see.. it just comes naturally..). I believe I've been using it since mIRC days which is like 8-9 yrs ago. Darn.. feeling old again. Anyway, why the use of these dots?? Here are some examples where these dots can come in handy:
(Pls take note that some of the following might not be based on actual events. :) )
- Most basic thing - To show that you're shocked and speechless:
Anonymous: Tif, I finally bought a hp! Costs $800+!!!
Me: ..............................
I thought only people from the olden days spend this much on handphones?
- To hint someone that he/she is irritating and u would just want to end the conversation (politely):
Anonymous: I dunno if I should stick to side parting or center parting. Some ppl say I look nicer with side parting, but some say center.
Me: ...
Anonymous: But I think side parting nicer leh. Cuz center parting I look like nerd. Side parting look more professional. Like a salesman.. haha
Me: ...
Anonymous: But center can also look bengish.. gals will like it. :)
Me: ...
Most of the time they'll get ur hint and stop after 3 times of "...", unless he's really thick skinned.. u might just wanna close the chat window straightaway.
- I don't know why.. But I just feel that using "......" can also make a conversation appear more casual and comfortable. Let's take a look at this example:
a) I need the file now. Will collect it from you at your desk.
b) I need the file now.. will collect it from you at your desk..
Do u feel it?? Or is it just me? The latter seems to sound much more relaxed, and not so commanding. Hehe..
- Hmm.. for some people, maybe just to use up all the 160 characters in a sms? Typical singaporean what.. cannot waste the sms...... =D
Too much use of ........... can be irritating, but the lack of it doesn't make it any better. I've been refraining myself from using it when i sms my colleagues cos some of them are serious ah. Hee.. Can be quite a chore cos I'm so used to adding ".." after every sentence.
.................. For now I'm using it cos I'm really tired and erm, it is quite nice to rest my pinky on the . key of the keyboard after some long typing. ;) Well, another week begins and I hope u all have a great week ahead!



3 Comments:
the 1st anonymous person is YOUR BROTHER!!! AHAHAHAHAHA.... right? tell me that im right.. i gave the
'...............' expression oso when he told u that... BUAHAHAHAHAHA.. the 2nd one i dunno.. guess its just some guy who wants to impress girls with his hair -_-' lame... but yea! the 1st one is tim.. confirm.. haha
...................
Haha.. smarty pants leh......
Post a Comment
<< Home